i) UPCOMING PROTEST: OCTOBER 10, 2015
Four Montreal-area groups — the Non-Status Action Committee , le Comité d’actions contre la décision 168-13 de la République dominicaine, Unissons-nous – Let’s unite, and Solidarity Across Borders — are calling for a Refugees Welcome / Unity March Against Deportations on October 10 in Montreal.
– fb: www.facebook.com/events/
– web: www.solidarityacrossborders.
ii) DEMO FLYER
– English: www.solidarityacrossborders.
– French: www.solidarityacrossborders.
If you have more photos (or video), please share at solidaritesansfrontieres@
v) SPEAKERS AT THE DEMONSTRATION
The following people spoke at the beginning of the “Refugees Welcome / Open the Borders” demonstration in Montreal:
– Huseyin Akyol, a member of the Kurdish community in Montreal, from a family of Kurdish refugees in Turkey
– Melis Cagan, a Montreal student originally from Turkey
Read Melis’ speech here: www.facebook.com/events/
– Serge Bouchereau, of the Non-Status Action committee, organizing against the deportation of Haitians and Zimbabweans from Canada
For more info about the Non-Status Action Committee: www.facebook.com/
– Maria, 16, a high-school student in Montreal, who spoke to denounce the recent arrest and deportation of Daniel from a Montreal-area school
For info about the Bring Daniel Home campaign, visit: www.
– Viviana Carol, member of the Bring Daniel Home campaign and organizer with the Immigrant Workers Center, speaking about undocumented residents of Montreal
– Shahrzad Arshadi, a Montreal artist originally from Iran, who has visited Kurdish pershmerga areas
– Cathia Cariotte, member of the Haitian community and organizer with Unissons-nous – Let’s unite
For more information about Let’s Unite: www.facebook.com/pages/
– Frantz André, member of the Haitian community and member of the Comité d’actions contre la déclaration 168-13 de la République dominicaine
For more information about the Comité d’actions: www.facebook.com/
– Avi Grenadier, member of the Jewish community in Montreal, making links between current refugee policies and Canada’s “None is too many’ policy against Jewish refugees
Read Avi’s speech here: www.facebook.com/events/
– Sheila Sedinger, migrant from Mexico and member of Solidarity Across Borders, who successfully resisted a deportation order
For more information: www.
vi) MEDIA REPORTS
– (Global) Protest urges feds to do more for refugees (with video)
– (CTV) Protesters demand Canada take in more Syrian refugees (with video)
– (Montreal Gazette) Hundreds rally in Montreal for Syrian refugees
– (Radio-Canada) Grand rassemblement à Montréal en appui aux réfugiés syriens
– (TVA) Manifestation pour accueillir des réfugiés
– (98,5 FM) Des manifestants demandent au gouvernement d’accueillir plus de réfugiés
– (canoe.ca) Montréal: manifestation pour accueillir des réfugiés
vii) DEFYING P-6 BY-LAW
The “Refugees Welcome / Open the Borders” demonstration openly defied the P-6 bylaw. We were able to march freely, on a route of our own choosing, without any police harassment, arrests or tickets. We encourage organizations that have not yet done so to add their name to the following Community Declaration against P-6, signed by more than 80 groups: www.solidarityacrossborders.