A Community Workshop and Presentation
Tuesday, May 24, 6:30pm
1500 de Maisonneuve West, #204
Childcare available on site.
Wheelchair accessible venue.
A Solidarity City is the creation of a community that rejects a system that engenders poverty and anguish, not solely for immigrants and refugees, but also for other Montrealers confronting these same realities.
We are opposing fear, isolation, precarity and division. We strike back with solidarity, mutual aid, support work and direct action.
The “Solidarity City” campaign is an attempt to generalize and broaden some key organizing principles that have been applied in migrant justice work in Montreal:
– breaking isolation and fear; attempting to network and unify around common, direct and straightforward demands (ie. status for all, as well as opposition to deportations and detentions);
– practicing tangible mutual aid and solidarity (support work) in contrast to charity or “service” approaches;
– organizing campaigns arising from on-the-ground realities;
– building the capacity of our mutual aid and support networks over the long-term;
– holding decision-makers directly accountable for their actions and policies;
– using direct action to achieve justice.
-> Solidarity City Declaration: www.solidarityacrossborders.
Organized by the Solidarity City Committee of Solidarity Across Borders. Part of the Festival of Anarchy (www.anarchistbookfair.ca)
(Note: this presentation will take place again on Tuesday, June 14, as part of the Month Against Deportations; info: www.solidarityacrossborders.org/en/building-a-solidarity-city-together-a-community-workshop-and-presentation-june-14)
Solidarité sans frontières: www.solidaritesansfrontieres.org
Solidarity Across Borders: www.solidarityacrossborders.org
Solidaridad sin fronteras: www.solidarityacrossborders.org/es