A Community Workshop and Presentation
Tuesday, June 14, 6:30pm
1500 de Maisonneuve West, #404
Childcare available on site.
Wheelchair accessible venue.
Learn more about migrant justice organizing in Montreal, and the campaign to build a Solidarity City.This presentation and workshop, open to all, is intended to provide context and background to the Solidarity City campaign of Solidarity Across Borders, and to encourage the participation of more organizations, groups and individuals.
A Solidarity City is the creation of a community that rejects a system that engenders poverty and anguish, not solely for immigrants and refugees, but also for other Montrealers confronting these same realities.
We are opposing fear, isolation, precarity and division. We strike back with solidarity, mutual aid, support work and direct action.
The “Solidarity City” campaign is an attempt to generalize and broaden some key organizing principles that have been applied in migrant justice work in Montreal:
– breaking isolation and fear; attempting to network and unify around common, direct and straightforward demands (ie. status for all, as well as opposition to deportations and detentions);
– practicing tangible mutual aid and solidarity (support work) in contrast to charity or “service” approaches;
– organizing campaigns arising from on-the-ground realities;
– building the capacity of our mutual aid and support networks over the long-term;
– holding decision-makers directly accountable for their actions and policies;
– using direct action to achieve justice.
-> Solidarity City Declaration: www.solidarityacrossborders.
Organized by the Solidarity City Committee of Solidarity Across Borders. Part of the Month Against Deportations.
(Note: this presentation is also taking place on Tuesday, May 24; info: www.solidarityacrossborders.org/en/building-a-solidarity-city-together-a-community-workshop-presentation-may-24)
Solidarité sans frontières: www.solidaritesansfrontieres.org
Solidarity Across Borders: www.solidarityacrossborders.org
Solidaridad sin fronteras: www.solidarityacrossborders.org/es